Sunday, January 22, 2006

Week 16

A pretty good week with a few rough spots.

Monday was an day off from running and from work. I normally go to gym on Mondays but I decided to just rest after my big bad 22 miles on Sunday.

Tuesday was 4 miles. I ran nice and hard today, really burned it up. It really feels good to run fast, really makes you feel like all that training is paying off.

Wednesday I went to the gym, lifted weights and went for a 7 mile run. My plan was to do 3 miles on the treadmill and then go outside for the other 4. It's really hard to do 7 miles in the neighborhood by the gym but all the treadmills were taken and I had figured out a 6 mile course so I just hit the road. It really is a nice course thru an older neighborhood although I have to cross a few very busy streets. I made up the other two miles just running up and down the side streets. My legs were pretty tired, this weight lifting is tough since I've never really done much with my legs before, thinking that running did everything I needed. Anyway, I got the 7 done with only one very short walk to rest.

Thursday the wife went off to Dripping Springs to help her friend get ready for her daughter's Quinceaneras. That left me with a lot of freedom as to where to go run. We usually carpool so I have to be considerate of making her sit around and wait somewhere while I run for 2 hours but today, my options were open. I decided to do the Austin Hike and Bike trail which is a 10 mile loop, perfect for my 10 mile requirement. I got down there about 4:30, checked out the map and was soon off and running. The trail is pretty nice in most places but there are areas where it needs some help. As you head west, pass under Mopac and head back toward town, it's all wide and well maintained but when you head further east, it leaves a lot to be desired. It just ends in a street and there are no markings as to which way to go. You just have to wander around and figure it out. I got lucky and didn't take too many detours. I had one moment where I felt a bit uncomfortable. There were 4 young vatos, about 14 or 15 years old, talking to two older guys. As I got near a rather narrow wood bridge, these 4 took off across it blocking most of the bridge. As I got to them, they split and let me thru but one gave me a look that said he really wanted to start something with me. I think the fact that I'm the size of a large grizzly bear persuaded him that it wasn't a good idea or maybe it was just my imagination (not likely). Anyway, shortly after that, I crossed over Longhorn dam just and the sun was touching the horizon. The view from up there is beautiful, you can see downtown Austin stretched out along the river and the sun on the water was really spectacular. That was the good part, my legs were really tired and my butt hurt a lot. My knees were also giving me fits, all I think from the weight lifting. I had to stop and walk a lot, the 10 miles took me a full two hours and it was getting full dark by the time I finished. I stopped at Wendy's for a burger on the way home.

Friday was an off day and I felt really tired. My right knee acted up throughout the day but I stopped by the gym and did some light weights anyway. It actually made it feel a lot better and kind of worked the kinks out of my muscles.

Saturday was supposed to be 4 miles but my knee was still bothering me. Add that to the fact the we were going to the Quinceaneras that night and would probably be doing some dancing and I decided to bag the Saturday run.

We didn't get home from the Quinceaneras until after 1 AM. I had to get up at 5:30 to take my daughter-in-law to work and felt like a total zombie. I crawled right back in bed when I got back and slept till almost 10 AM. Sleeping that late is just unheard of for me but it felt pretty good, I woke up alert and ready to go. I decided to wait till later to run, it was rainy and cold and I was starving so cooked breakfast instead. I didn't go running till around 12:30. It was still rainy and cold but I wore a fleece thing I picked up at Old Navy so was warm and toasty although a little wet. My knees gave me a little greif but I ran at a pretty good pace and did a very respectable 10 miles in about 1 1/2 hours. I am going to modify my lifting and concentrate only on my hips, I think I'm overworking my lower legs and I certainly don't want to make too many changes this close to the marathon. My mantra thru this whole process has been "Stay Healthy and you'll make it" and while there are things I can't control, overworking my legs is certainly one I can.

Next week is very exciting for me. Next Sunday is my last long run before the marathon. When I finish next week, it will only be three weeks till the big day. I can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home